Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A-ha!!!!

I figured it out! I know why my focus has been split between two different stories that I want to write! I really should've seen it coming... it makes perfect sense to me now...

First a little bit of background...

Not long ago I sent my writing gremlin home to find another gremlin who would want to work with my friend Jason as he makes his way through his proposal and dissertation for his PhD. He was gone for a couple of days, but eventually came back and he and I resumed writing.

The weird thing is that another story began popping into my head off and on. A decent enough story, I wrote down a synopsis and seriously planned on writing it once I finished this story.

Well, this story keeps getting more and more insistent in its desire to be written. The story for it isn't quite as polished as the series for Instinct, but it's really getting there. It's holding my interest, so that's a good start I guess.

I just couldn't figure out why my writing gremlin was doing this. The scenes weren't coming to me the same way that the ones from Instinct did. It's almost as if someone else is telling me this story... then I figured it out. The proverbial light bulb went off over my head and it all made sense.

My writing gremlin didn't just bring back a buddy to work with my friend. He also brought back his wife or girlfriend or whatever she is considered to him in the writing gremlin world. This "new voice" giving me this story isn't my original writing gremlin at all! She must have gotten bored and decided that my poor brain could handle her story at the same time too...

All right, no problem... I'll just focus on Instinct and write up rough outlines of whatever she tells me and I'll be all set to start that story later on... My life can't be that simple to fix...

I guess my original writing gremlin got jealous and decided that I needed more incentive to keep living in the fictional world of Instinct. Knowing how badly I wanted to write a story from the perspective of my villain, he is now danging a new book in the series in front of me. It's completely from the point-of-view of the villain, but can't be written until I finish books 1, 2, and 3 for the series...

Oh, and if that wasn't tempting enough... he's presented me an idea to write a prequel of sorts for the series. It shows some of the key story lines from the character's pasts that laid the groundwork for what happens in Instinct and the rest of the series...

So now, to clear up any confusion, here are the things playing in my head and fighting for dominance:
- Instinct (probably 5 scenes fighting to be written at once)
- 2nd, 3rd, and now 4th books in the Instinct series
- Prequel for the Instinct series
- Hollywood Romance type story (female gremlin's project)
- a random Sci-Fi story that popped into my head while my gremlin was out of town... oh crap! What type of creature inspired that!

Well, I guess I'm off to ponder that thought and try to wade through my house full of muses... Wish me Luck!

Until I Blog Again,
Talk 2ya later...

~Willow

0 comments:

Post a Comment